We have talked about how you can let go of the past and all that is holding you back, we’ve went over ways you can get over your fears and so much more. Now it is time to start putting yourself first! In this read, I will share ways that has helped me personally as well as others including my closet friends. By the end of this post you will be ready to finally start putting yourself first and hopefully without any guilt whatsoever.
First, let’s talk about WHY you need to start putting yourself first. For one, you’re probably exhausted right now and you NEED to REST! Second, it is a form of self love that everyone needs to practice! Third but not last, It helps us live a healthier life. Your physical an mental (possibly even spiritual) health depends on you practicing forms of self love… which include, putting yourself first! Now, we all heard about Jessie Gallan, the 109 year old woman who said her secret to living a long life was to avoid men! Now this could just be her adding humor and wanting to make people laugh but I think she was serious! Maybe avoiding men and being a strong independent woman was her way of putting herself first. Everyone puts themselves first in all kinds of ways. So to sum this up we can for sure interpret that her answer was, “self-love”.
Now let’s get to the ways we can put ourselves first:
- Take care of your body – Take regular bubble baths or Epsom salt baths to help relieve tension and soreness in your body and be sure to moisturize all over after you get out of the shower. I like to take baths, relax, then shower and moisturize. It helps a ton! Also know when to quit, put your physical body first. Don’t forget to wash your hair and use a nice hair mask and face mask while bathing! Foot creams are also nice, especially if you’re on your feet all the time.
- Write down your priorities – list things you will put first on your list to help you put yourself first.
- Make sure to keep a balance between helping others and helping yourself to needs and wants – to help you balance simply create a T chart or go with the flow and remember there needs to be a balance. Balancing helps you put yourself first while allowing yourself to help others when they need it. Helpful when you have children or a significant other.
- Make time for sleep – sleep purposely and plan to get 9 hours of sleep each week night. I say plan because I know there are women (maybe even men) reading this that have babies. Plan to get 9. Psychologists recommend 7-9 hours of sleep with 9 hours being the best you can aim for since there is a thing called REM (which you can look up, it is a big deal though when it come to sleeping in 3 hour increments).
- Take care of your mind – Unfollow and unfriend toxicity and allow yourself to turn off the electronics once in a while. Resist lurking people’s profiles that tend to upset you and resist the urge to read the comment section of your local news stations on Facebook. Better your life in these ways and I promise affirmations will help you think in a more positive light.
- Start saying “no” – saying no when that is what you want or need to say will literally change your life. I promise you.
- Know when to ask for help – put your pride aside and understand that sometimes we need a little help. Like, if you’re exhausted and have a lot of chores and the baby won’t stop crying — call for help. Don’t feel ashamed. If you’re overwhelmed with studying, ask for help so you can understand or take initiative and ask to copy notes if you had to take a rest day from school (college). Know when to ask for help, and don’t feel ashamed.
- Know that you’re important, but don’t overdue yourself – You are important! People need you and some rely on you, however, don’t let that take over your life. Make some time for you. Create windows for when you will allow yourself to help others and create windows where you give time to only you.
- Eat Healthier – Keeping in mind what you put into your body will help you in so many ways. Your body will thank you.
Now keep in mind, once you start putting yourself first you will feel guilty, as it is new to you and you are figuring out the balance. Remind yourself why you need to put yourself first and that it is okay to feel guilty but you don’t have to feel guilty. You may have feelings where you feel selfish, shake those ideas out of your head because practicing the ways to put yourself first I gave you are anything but selfish! Most of those things are necessities!
If you feel that people will judge you or they’re thinking bad of you because you’re putting yourself you must let go of those thoughts and if they come at you in negative ways they are toxic, you may need to cut them off, or simply let them know why and ENCOURAGE THEM to put themselves first too.
If you decide to use those methods or to put this whole blog post to use in your life, please let me know. Leave a comment if there was something I missed that you personally do and subscribe to this blog for more posts like this! And follow me on Instagram for more inspiration where I post affirmations everyday on my stories and a lot of self love content. Feel free to even shoot me a DM, let’s conversate! All conversations stay confidential unless you give me permission to share. I will never ask to share though, it is purely if you want me to. I hope you have a blessed day and keep slaying! Instagram is @lifewithcaitie.
Some More Blogs Like This One: