If you are in the urgent need or know someone in need of shelter here in Jessamine County, please go ahead and visit this website for the JCHC: https://www.jchcky.com/
Backstory of How the Homeless Shelter Started
The Jessamine County Homeless Coalition became a legal non-profit in May 2016. However, they opened for operation in Nov 2016. When asking Johnny Templin, the Executive Director and Founder for JCHC, about the background and how JCHC came to be, he replied, “in January 2015, our food pantry opened. After praying into it for two weeks, God clearly answered. Preachers all of a sudden started asking me for resources for homeless people. After two weeks, I submitted and decided to start the process and make it legal in our coming.”
Something worth mentioning is how they host great and sometimes unique events, remember my blog post on the 2021 Jessamine County Fall Festival? They were the hosts and organizers/operators of the event! As well as the Jessamine Maze Days Event.
Programs and Services Offered at the Moment
There are quite a few good programs at JCHC that are beneficial to individuals in urgent need and any community members needing any of the provided and open (to the community) services listed below.
- Emergency Shelter – 4 Days Emergency Center for those temporairly homeless.
- Case Managed 90 Day Program – Focuses on housing stability and placement, with an emphasis on arrangement, coordination, monitoring, and delivery of services related to housing needs and improving house stability (JCHC Webiste).
- Community Meals – Three meals provided for anyone in need:
Breakfast 7:00am – 8:00am
Lunch 12:00pm – 1:00pm
Dinner 6:00pm – 7:30pm
- Community Showers – 9am – 6pm daily based on JCHC needs and availability.
- Community Laundry – One load per household nightly from 5pm – 7pm.
Please visit their website for more information on these services, listed at the top of this post.
The Winter Weather Emergency Shelter Program
This overnight accommodation is strictly designed for any commUNITY member in need of a warm shelter, regardless of past restrictions from JCHC.JCHC Website
- Nightly check-in from 7:30pm – 11:00pm.
- All persons must abide by facility rules and policies while receiving this emergency service.
Contact the shelter directly or visit their website for more information on the Winter Weather Emergency Shelter/Program.
How We Can Help
There are so many ways we can give and help out others here at the Jessamine County Homeless Coalition/shelter. Did you know there are even little ways that go big we can do? Such as using your Kroger Card or shopping on Amazon? It is a neat way to give back, even without thinking sometimes.
Other ways we can help are by volunteering and donating! If you are considering donating to JCHC, please visit this web page to see what they need and more information; the web page also features more information about how you can use your Kroger card and Amazon.
For monetary donations, you donate via Venmo to @jchcky.